Thursday, February 26, 2009

To who (whom?) are you writing?



Would you like to know to whom I truly write?

To 'yours truly'.

I write for my own benefit, I must admit. And that 'benefit' is not of a financial nature--not that I have any choice. What I get out of the exercise is, through the peeling back the onion of my thinking, is to clarify what I have in mind and come up, thereby, eventually, with a coherent overview, or philosophy. That's my master plan.

And really, all writers do this; they write for themselves for that very same reason. You want to learn something? Teach it! Only incidentally does the reader get something out of it. Forget about intellectual property rights!

Magnanimous me, eh? Well, yes and no. In my mind there's no difference between writing for myself or for another person. But that I'll expand upon that anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment