Monday, March 2, 2009

What is your hobby?



Ooh, a classic question not often heard these days. Do people still have hobbies?

My hobby, first and foremost, is reading. But I've only just realized it, or at least owned up to it. As a kid I'd list it reluctantly and with some embarrassment. How could reading be classified as something worthwhile spending time on, when so few of my peers gave it much thought.

Reading puts me in touch with another person. I see the world from their point of view. I become them for a spell, and share their experiences. And having come around to the point of view that acquiring experience is the only thing I'm here for, that can't be a bad thing.

Whether the author lives or is (ancient) history makes no difference. Whether I could relate to him or her as a person doesn't matter. Reading their words is so much better than if I had the chance to speak to them in person--that's been my experience in the flesh. Distill yourself on paper if you want to be my friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment