Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What makes your day?


To me there is nothing better than to come up against (or with) a brand new idea. That's the main reason that I read. That's the main thing I live for.



Not just any idea, of course. I am selective. It needs to be an idea that has an impact. It needs to be something that has an effect on the manner in which I live and or relate to the world. I am interested in ideas that make me see things differently.



Now, an idea that changes your world view is like a mutation. It results in a change that works to separate you from the common consensus, and in that that sense it is dangerous. It can make you--is likely to--make you visibly different from the crowd.



Mutations are usually detrimental to your health. If you are lucky they have little effect. Only occasionally does a mutation result in an improvement upon the old. It is wise to be suspicious of change.



Still, I like mutational ideas. I trust myself to weigh them up. I am happy to consider a hundred, discard ninety-nine of them, and end up with one winner.

So, the idea has to be a good one. Additionally, it needs to be something that improves my life. It needs, in other words, to be applicable and practical. I need to be able to apply it. I think of my area as Applied Philosophy.

I dream of finding an idea so powerful that it would change the world. I aspire to an idea that would spread like wildfire. I long for a meme, in other words, something that would chane the world as we know it.

What might that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment