Friday, February 20, 2009

Are you a misanthropist?


I wouldn't say I'm a misanthropist, at least not an active one. But a passive one, maybe.

I'm not enamored with folk; I'm not generally okay with what I observe: people not behaving as humans. I don't know, perhaps we expect too much of ourselves. If a group of other primates, mammals or what have you acted as we did, well, I guess I'd be more tolerant.

Shouldn't I be at least as tolerant with individuals of my own species?

Hey, hang on there just a minute. I don't identify as 'human'. I occupy that form, but that is all. I have no choice in that matter. I'm a spiritual being having a physical experience.

But the question is a valid one. The logical response would be to say that humans ought to know better. Or rather, they do know better, and so ought to practise what they know is right.

Really though. 'Know better'? Do we just? Take a look at the state of the world.

And before I close this topic--yes, I direct that passive disappointment at myself included. I too am a sorry specimen. Which might lead one to suppose that I am depressive. No, not that. A realist.

No comments:

Post a Comment