Monday, February 23, 2009

What if I was you?


Or if I was you . . .?

That's a great question--a mind experiment, even--to consider. First off, if I (who is writing) was you (who is reading), then, according to what I intuit to be true, I would, to all intents and purposes be you. I would have the same thoughts. I would perform the same actions. I'd make the same decisions and I'd make the same errors.

This is so, because I would have the same background, environment and genetic makeup and what have you. It would be impossible for me to relate to the world in any other way but yours.

And if people were to ask: Yes, but what about the soul? Because our souls are different, wouldn't that make a difference in terms of personality and so forth, right down the track? We'd therefore operate differently.

That would be so if I shared your notion of what 'soul' is and how it manifests itself.

I do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment